Thursday, July 14, 2011

Update

Good news:  I will not become an island.  I attended a neighborhood meeting last night and we identified a path into town that most likely will not flood.  

Bad news:  I still have no power which means I have no water and no stove as both rely on power.  There is no end in sight to this power failure and certainly no news bulletin from Botswana Power Corporation making us feel any better although I hear whispers of "four more days" and "three more days" which I don't like.  My cell phone operator is also without power so no phone.  I will be fetching water from the river for my toilet, washing, and animals.  I will be cooking on a open fire as well.  I'm thinking that this will be a good time to experiment with making pizza on the grill and enjoying red wine instead of my usual cocktails and white wine.  (I also just bought a bottle of sparkling rose which will be a lovely way to celebrate the power coming back on.)  

Note to my dear friend visiting in August:  This will all be resolved long before you arrive.  Please don't worry.  When you come to stay you will enjoy as modern an experience as Botswana has to offer and that means water, power, phones, and petrol will be available to all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment